Fahmida Jahan completed her Masters from Department of Biochemistry and Medical Genetics, University of Manitoba. She received honorary Major Student Award (Manitoba Medical Service Foundation Award) and Heart and Stroke Foundation Master Award from the university for excellence in research. She also pursued her research career as scientific staff in the prestigious Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich). Her current research interest is investigating NAD+ metabolism and mitochondrial dysfunction in the disease state of Preeclampsia.
Awards and Achievements:
- Admission Scholarship, University of Ottawa.
- Coauthored in a project which received AGLA Swiss Lipid Research Award.
- Major Student Award (Manitoba Medical Service Foundation Award), highest recognition from Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, 2016.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation Master Award, for excellence in cardiovascular research, Heart and Stroke Foundation Manitoba, 2015.
- Best Presenter Award at Biochemistry and Medical Genetics student seminar, University of Manitoba, 2015.
- Graduate Student Association Travel Award, University of Manitoba, 2015.
- Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences Travel Awards in 2014 and 2015, Winnipeg.
- American Association of Anatomists (AAA) Travel Award for participating as a finalist in a poster competition at Experimental Biology Conference, 2015.
- Best Poster Award at Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences Poster Day, Winnipeg, 2014.
- Biochemistry and Medical Genetics Departmental Student Award (Phyllis J. McAlpine Graduate Fellowship) for best research performance, University of Manitoba, 2014.
- International Graduate Student Scholarship (2014/2015), University of Manitoba (declined).
- Faculty of Graduate Studies Travel Award, University of Manitoba,
- Manitoba Health Research Council (MHRC) Studentship Award (2013-2015), Research Manitoba studentship competition, 2013.
- Graduate Enhancement of Tri-Council Stipend (2012-2013), University of Manitoba.
- International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship, University of
- President’s Award, highest honor at undergraduate level, Stamford University Bangladesh, 2012.
- Merit Scholarship for excellent academic performance, Stamford University Bangladesh.
- *Rushita A Bagchi, *Ryan Wang, Fahmida Jahan, Jeffrey T Wigle, Micheal P Czubryt. Regulation of scleraxis-mediated cardiac fibrotic gene expression by serine phosphorylation. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 92:140-8, 2016.*co-first author.
- Fahmida Jahan and Jeffrey T Wigle. “The Diverse cellular origins of cardiac fibroblasts” published in ‘Springer’ as a chapter in the book entitled “Cardiac Fibrosis and Heart Failure: cause or effect?”, Vol13 of the series Advances in Biochemistry in Health and Disease pp 125-145.
- Rayan H Cunnington, Josette M Northcott, Saied Ghavami, Krista L Filomeno, Fahmida Jahan, Morvarid Kavosh, Jared Davies, Jeffrey T Wigle and Ian MC Dixon. “The Ski/Zeb2/Meox2 pathway provides a novel mechanism for regulation of the cardiac myofibroblast phenotype”. J. of Cell Sciences, 127, 40-49, 2014.
- Ashim K. Bagchi, Rushita A. Bagchi, Dipak K. Hens, Fahmida Jahan, Pragna H. Parikh and Dhira Rani Saha. Host Receptor Immunomodulation in Response to Shigella Surface Antigens: An Insight for Vaccine Development. American J. of Immunology. Vol 11:2, 33-47, 2015.
- Mrityunjoy Acharjee, Farjana Rahman, Fahmida Jahan, and Rashed Noor. “Bacterial Proliferation in Municipal Water Supplied in Mirpur Locality of Dhaka City, Bangladesh”. CLEAN- Soil, Air, Water, 2013. Vol 42:4,434-441, 2014.
- Fahmida Jahan, Rubayat Elahi, Golam Musawwir Khan, Md. Shafiul Alam, Rashed “Evaluation of two new rapid diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of malaria”. Bangladesh J. of Medical Microbiology, Vol 5:2, 11-15, 2012.
- Asadur Rahman, Fahmida Jahan, Farjana Rahman and Rashed Noor.“Biochemical and immunological parameters of Hepatitis B Virus positive patients in Bangladesh”. J. of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 37:1, 51-56, 2013.
- Mrityunjoy Acharjee, Kaniz Fatema, Fahmida Jahan, Shanzida S Jahan, Md. Aftab Uddin and Rashed Noor. “Prevalence of Vibrio cholerae in different food samples in the city of Dhaka, Bangladesh”. International Food Research Journal, 20:2, 1017-1022, 2013.
- Mukitu Nahar, Zinat Mahal, Hasan M. Zahid, Khadiza Zaman, Fahmida Jahan, M Majibur Rahman and Rashed Noor. “Effects of plasmid curing on Rhizobium spp.” Stamford J. of Microbiology (SJM), Vol 2:1, 34-37 2012.
- Fahmida Jahan, Ian Dixon and Jeffrey Wigle. “Zeb2: A novel regulator of cardiac fibroblast to myofibroblast transition.” Selected as top 12 out of 122 abstracts for a poster competition by American Association of Anatomists at Experimental Biology Conference, 2015. FASEB Journal, vol. 29 no. 1, Supplement 556.1.
- Fahmida Jahan, Garret Degagne, Sunil Rattan, Ian Dixon and Jeffrey Wigle. “The role of Zeb2 in promoting cardiac fibroblast to myofibroblast phenoconversion.” Current Research: Cardiology, 2014.
- Fahmida Jahan, Josette Northcott, Ryan Cunnington, David Cheung, Sunil Rattan, Krista Filomeno, Ian Dixon and Jeffrey Wigle. “Control of cardiac fibroblast phenotype by the Meox2/Zeb2 signalling switch”. FASEB Journal, vol. 28, no. 1, Supplement LB47, 2014.